Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority
Portability FAQs - Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority
Portability FAQs


a) Click here for port-in request form.
b) If you would like to port (out) your voucher into another jurisdiction, please select here to begin the voucher move process.

Portability Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I port to Columbus MHA
A: You must contact your initial housing authority and let them know you want to port to the Columbus MHA
Q: Who does my housing authority forward my paperwork to?
A: Please contact us by :
Mail: Columbus MHA
880 E 11th Ave
Columbus, OH 43211
Fax: 614-421-6316
Email :
Q: What is portability?
A:"Portability" in the HCV program refers to the process through which the family can transfer or "port" their rental subsidy when they move to a location outside the jurisdiction of the public housing agency (PHA) that first issued them the voucher when they were selected for the program.
Q: How long is the port in process?
A: Generally, two to six weeks. The time period may vary, however, contingent upon the completeness of the required information being transferred by your initial Housing Authority.
Q: Are we administering or absorbing vouchers?
A: CMHA is currently absorbing all incoming portables.
Q: What required information will be needed in order to transfer or port? (Your initial PHA must send the following)
  • A current Housing Choice Voucher (HUD form 52646) must have at least 30 days remaining at the time of receipt;
  • The completed Part I of the HUD form 52665;
  • Income information that matches the 50058; and
  • An EIV.
*Please note your contact information must be present and up-to-date in order for the port family to be contacted as deemed necessary.
Q: If I need an extension of time, who do I contact?
A: Contact your initial Housing Authority for this request. For example: Before your voucher expires, you must contact your initial Housing Authority for approval and to request any extension of time.
Q: Do I qualify for the same number of bedrooms that I have at my initial Housing Authority?
A: Each Housing Authority has different methods of calculating subsidy standards (the number of bedrooms you qualify for). Because of this, CMHA may issue you a voucher that may be smaller or larger than what you currently have. This will be determined at your briefing.
Q: How do I access a housing list?
A: CMHA services all of Franklin County.
To access the HCV Payment Standards/Income Limits please click here. The Housing Authority has partnered with, which provides an enhanced program to list rental properties online. Listings are available to potential Housing Choice Voucher tenants seeking apartment units, duplexes, single-family homes or townhomes in the private market.

If you have additional questions regarding portability, please email