Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority
FAQs - Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority

Housing Choice Voucher Program FAQ

Q: Why is EIV necessary?
A: To ensure better accuracy of housing benefits, HUD has been given authority to develop and operate a data match system that will report to local housing authorities income broken down by household member from the Ohio State Wage Information Collection Agencies (SWICA) and the Social Security Administration. This means CMHA will get reports on earned income, social security and supplemental security benefits coming to all members in your household.
Q: What must I do?
A: When the time comes for your appointment to report your income and family composition, you should report all earned income and benefits for all family members. You will be asked to sign an Authorization for Release of Information and Privacy Act Notice (HUD 9886). You are required to sign this form by federal law if you want to maintain your eligibility for federally assisted housing. By signing this form you are giving HUD and CGI permission to verify your household's income in order to ensure your eligibility for assisted housing benefits. Your caseworker will access available information about earned income and/or benefits that has been collected by the state of Ohio and the Social Security Administration. You may be asked to provide additional information about your sources of income if there are discrepancies between the information that you have reported and the information obtained by HUD and CGI.
Q: What may happen if there is conflicting information?
A: You will be given an opportunity to dispute or provide additional information to correct HUD's records in the event of data errors. Your housing advisor is required to set a deadline for your response. If CMHA determines that there has been a deliberate attempt to hide income, the family may be evicted from public housing or be terminated from the HCV Program and referred to law enforcement for prosecution. Prior to any final action the family may appeal CGI's decision to a hearing officer.
Business Opportunities/Section 3 FAQs:

Doing business with CMHA follows two paths: Purchasing, generally responsible for the procurement of supplies and services for the Agency; and Design & Construction, generally responsible for the acquisition of Architectural/Engineering services and the bidding and administration of larger renovation and new construction projects.

You can register as a vendor here.

Q: How can I do business with CMHA?
A: CMHA purchases goods and services through professional services, construction, and capital equipment. All interested vendors should contact CMHA at:

Purchasing Department
880 E. 11th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43221
Phone: 614-421-4434
Design & Construction
880 E. 11th Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43211
Phone: 614-421-6102

Q: How do I find out about upcoming bids?
A: You can go to the Open Contract Opportunities page for Purchasing or Design & Construction:
Q: How do I find out who was awarded a bid or quote?
A: Each bid will state a contact person. It is CMHA’s policy to submit award notification for each bid. If you do not receive an award notification, it is appropriate to use the contact information stated in the bid.
Q: Can a bid be faxed or mailed?
A: All procurements shall detail the mode, location, and deadline for all responses for each procurement listed in the document.
Q: How does CMHA process payment to vendors?
A: Invoices can be submitted to Payments are made according to the agreed upon net payment terms. All payments are issued by check and mailed the next day via U.S. Postal Service.
Q: Does a vendor have to pay for bid specifications?
A: Design & Construction may require a deposit refundable upon receipt of documents. The amount shall be stated with the documentation.
Employment FAQs

Q: Does CMHA have any job openings?
A: All open positions are posted on our website, on job line (614-421-6370), and in our lobby.
Q: Do I have to submit a separate application for each job posting?
A: Yes.
Q: What is the closing date to apply for posted positions?
A: Closing dates are listed on the job posting.
Q: How long do you keep applications on file?
A: 6 months.
Q: How can I find out the status of my application?
A: By contacting the Human Resources office at 614-421-6402.
Q: Do you have any part-time positions?
A: Yes, we offer a few part-time positions.
Q: Are internships available?
A: Yes, internships are available for students seeking internship college credits or students involved in summer programs that sponsor internships.
Q: What are your hours?
A: Our core office hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Q: Can I e-mail my application or resume?
A: Yes.
Q: Can I get a copy of my W-2?
A: Yes, this can be requested from payroll (614-421-6236).
Q: When is open enrollment for health insurance?
A: Once a year, normally in December.
Q: How long do I have to wait to apply for another internal position?
A: New employees shall not be permitted to bid for a posted position until after expiration of their probationary period. Employees who qualify for and accept a bid job shall not be permitted to bid again for a period of 12 months from the date that the employee started the bid job.